A little over two weeks ago, an opportunity for our family began to emerge. However, the timing for the opportunity isn’t optimal. That’s where we’re hoping you might be willing to help.
First, A Little About Us
My name is Wes and I’m married to a wonderful woman named Katy. We have been together for over 15 years, married 11 years and have 4 kids ages 9, 6, 2 and 7 months. We also have an amazing puppy Laci who is in her mid 60’s (in dog years).
Shortly after the birth of our first child, I decided that the freelance life may not be the best one for me. I decided to head out and see about finding a real job. Found that real job at Johns Hopkins University over 8 years ago and shortly after starting there we moved into our current house. Our lease term, 6 months. Yup, we’re still here. A lovely 2 bedroom house with a crew that is much too large for it. Now we make it work, and it’s served us well, but we want out. We want to move to a home where each of our kids can have their own room and not kill each other because they are up in each others business so much. Our goal was to work hard and hopefully be ready to do just that roughly 6 short months from now.
So why am I writing this post to you in January? Well, a possible opportunity has arisen and we’re trying to figure out how we can make the most of it.
What’s This Opportunity You Speak Of
So my mother, who I love very much, sometimes has the ability to be a little silly. Every week or two she sends along some listings for houses that she thinks would be perfect for us. Sometimes they might not be a bad fit, other times, they are just a little silly. A couple of weeks ago, we got one of those emails from her. A lovely 4 bedroom home with lots of nice things for $279,000 here in Baltimore. I chuckled. Might have even been out loud. We have 4 kids, where are my wife and I sleeping if each gets their own bedroom?
So to be a little silly back, I decided to take a peek around the interwebs and see what houses were in the area that were actually a fit for us. That’s when I came across our opportunity. A 6 bedroom, 4 1/2 bath, 4100 square foot home on a little over an acre for $300,000. Now if you know my wife and I, which many of you do, this is a dream home for us. It is an older home with a ton of character and has a lot of the features we want in a home.
What Happened Next Wes!?!?
Of course, I had to share this with my wife. Well, then ideas started rolling around in our heads. Could it be? Would we be able to? Is it a possibility even? I’ll be honest, our credit isn’t great, we have bills. Less than we used to, but still, we have bills. We have been tight financially for a while and while we’re making strides, things are not perfect in our world. I knew that if there was any chance that we could move on this house, we’d need some help. Big time help.
I reached out to a family member and introduced the idea of them potentially assisting us in getting a home. Of course, we fully expected to be denied, perhaps even laughed at. We were stunned when the family member replied in the affirmative. They’d be willing to help if we needed it.
Well Isn’t That Interesting?
Now the thoughts and ideas and dreams are really starting to flow. We still know it’s almost impossible for us to move ahead on this purchase alone, but with this family members help, things have changed. My wife had recently met a Realtor that had actually started us down the journey of getting on track. She heard her speak at a local MOPS group about setting goals and then keeping yourself focused on them. We’ve been setting goals for the last few months and it’s been a big help. So, we decided to reach out to her and see if she’d be open to showing us the house.
We headed away for a family event over the weekend looking forward to the opportunity to see the house the following week. We had a great time with family and even had a few discussions with my wife’s parents about the house. All of these are dream big type conversations right? We were still a long way off from the possibility of purchasing this home.
On Sunday, the Realtor reached out and asked if we’d be available at 10 AM on Tuesday to see the house. We jumped at the opportunity and couldn’t wait to get in and see if it was a good fit for us. On Tuesday AM, before we headed to check out the house, I made a call to another family member. My wife’s grandfather had put some money in some investments for the kids, and we were curious if they would be open to us using the funds towards a home purchase. Again, I expected to hear no and I was perfectly okay with that answer. Well, that wasn’t the answer we got. We got an answer of yes and not only yes but that the discussion had already happened between those involved on that end.
In less than a week, we had gone from no cash for a purchase and no real support credit wise to having multiple family members put support in our corner. No matter what happens, the gratitude we’ll have for our family will never go away. We’re truly blessed with the family we have around us and thank God every day for them. We went from no cash, to nearly $40,000 available for our use to purchase a home. Now this is just crazy to us, and we’re still unsure of how to proper process it all.
So, How Was The House?
Well, it’s an older home with a ton of space and plenty of room at a great price. To sum it up, we loved it. It is finished enough that we can use it right away, but has some work that will give us things to do moving ahead.
That’s Awesome, but Why Am I Reading This?
I’m glad you asked that question. Things have gotten much more concrete for us. Now we know that we might be able to get into a home and sooner than we anticipated. But there are still hurdles and we’re hoping you can assist with those. One of the big hurdles that we need to jump first is to clear out the debt that we planned on clearing out over six months in just a few weeks. That’s where you and your friends and even your enemies can help. Before we share how you can help, we do want to make a few things clear.
- We are not seeking donations or gifts. While it would be really neat if someone would gift us $300,000 to purchase the home, we want to earn it. We know it’ll mean more if we do.
- We need your help to get the word out. Spreading the word is one of the best ways for us to reach our goal, the more people that know, the more that will help and the more likely we’ll reach our goal.
- We are totally amazed that you’ve read this far. Thank you for just taking the time to even consider this discussion.
- We’re realistic that a lot of stars have to align to make this happen. THIS house may not become ours, but it definitely won’t be ours if we don’t at least try. Your support will help us get into a home and we hope it’s this one.
- We believe that if it is meant to be our house, things will work out. If they don’t, then another and better option is waiting for us.
We would like to raise $10,000 to pay off outstanding debts and put ourselves on a more solid footing to jump into this process. As we mentioned before, we don’t want your donations, but we welcome your support through purchases.
- For 3 weeks, I will offer my headshot and family photography services at a discount of 50%. You can purchase now and use anytime in 2015 or 2016. Purchase them for yourself, or give them as gifts. To receive the pricing, you MUST purchase through this link.
- Purchase a print. Very soon, I’ll have prints available for purchase through Bmore Photo. These prints will be made available for purchase on Monday, January 19th.
- Purchase any nursing bra or piece of maternity lingerie from my wife’s web site. Items will be offered at a discount of 50% off regular prices and you can save 15% – 35% more if you choose to buy more. Complete details can be found on The Breastfeeding Den’s web site. We have over 7000 pieces of inventory in these products and selling just a few hundred items would big help towards reaching our goal.
- Purchase access to The Breastfeeding Den’s online Breastfeeding Class. This is an amazing class taught by my wife, an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, for expecting mothers looking to breastfeed. It’s offered at an amazing price of $29.95 and can be accessed 24/7 online.
- Treat yourself to some pampering and pretty nails by shopping through my wife’s Jamberry Nails website, or host an online party. If you haven’t tried Jamberry, let her send you a sample. You’ll fall in love with these amazing and versatile nail wraps.